Tuesday, January 12, 2010

laughter is the best medicine

something that i think a lot of women can understand is this: home is where the heart is. home is where your husband, your dog, your dishes and your underwear are. but home is also where Mom is. and i'm not sure when, or if, that ever changes. so when i need a break, that's where i like to head.
on january 3rd, little man and I bid music man farewell on the bus in charlotte and we headed to augusta for the week. the choice to skip out on 5 days of driving was not hard to make. of course we miss him when we are away from him, but the quiet, clean, cozy home was the perfect retreat that we needed. being with my Mama always leaves me feeling rested and refreshed, and i was definitely more ready to get on the bus at the end of the week than i was at the beginning...
i think i forgot to mention my big birthday present. i asked my mom for it all year and she got it for me-- a sewing machine!

so while i was at her house i re-learned how to use a machine (it has been a long time since i used one) i bought a book, One Yard Wonders, filled with fun projects to do with only one yard of fabric. i can't wait to get started on all of them! so i spent my days dreaming of fabric projects, finishing knitting projects, and resting. little man spent his days being the busy bee that he is. he never stops walking, never stops moving, always on a mission, always something to do. i visited my mom's classroom for yet another reminder to never enroll my children in public schools. we tried the latest fad- chocolate wine. we ate at the yummiest spot in augusta, taco sushi. i finished my last bit of canada-cold-weather-preparation-shopping, and we also found some just-for-fun treasures at Goodwill. i ate lunch with my brother, and saw him and his girlfriend a few other nights. every afternoon i picked my niece (my LOVE!) up from school and we played. she spent the night twice. by saturday we realized she hadn't watched tv once all week! i was so proud of her(us), so we celebrated by spending half of saturday watching tv:) instead we memorized our 4 and 5 multiplication tables, mastered her spelling words for the week, collected and washing rocks from outside, sold Girl Scout cookies, played with my little man, and made this.


it's one of those no-sew blankets. i thought it would be a great project that we could do together, however the "blanket i and niece made together" turned into the "blanket i made for niece." yep, i did it all alone. it was a little more difficult than i had imagined. maybe a better project for a 12 or 14 year old...
i was really grateful for all the time i got to spend with her that week. i love this girl more than life itself. as i tell her every time i see her, she is my favorite person in the whole wide world:) together we are
pure silliness.

No comments:

Post a Comment